$0
$1500

Spring Hill Splits Doubleheader with Mobile

The Spring Hill College softball team split results (5-4, 4-3) in a doubleheader with crosstown rival Mobile in its home opener at Murray Field on Friday.

Emily Phillips (1-0) earned her first win in her first appearance on the mound for Spring Hill while pitching a complete game that went nine innings.

Airyonna Weaver extended her reached base streak to seven games. Rycca Hinton went 2-for-7 over the course of the two games, batted in four total runs and crossed the plate once.

SHC responded quickly after Mobile jumped on the board in the first frame, scoring a pair of runs on an RBI triple from Natalee Curry. The Rams slapped a two-run homer over the left field wall to take a 3-2 lead in the fourth inning.

Hinton answered with two-run RBI triple of her own in the fifth inning and gave the Badgers the 4-3 lead. The Rams tied the game in the sixth, 4-4, and took the win over the Badgers, 5-4, in the eighth inning.

In the second game, another two-run RBI triple gave UM a first-inning 2-0 lead. Hinton hit an RBI single through the left side and Meadow Villar stole home on a heads-up stealing play to tie the game at 2-2. Mobile did not back down, scoring another run to regain the 3-2 lead in the eighth.

Kayla Coley-Drayton crossed the plate and tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the eighth. Hinton hit a walk-off fielder’s choice to third, bringing home Emily Phillips and SHC’s first win of the season, 4-3.

Game Details
Date: Feb. 9
Time: 12 p.m. / 2 p.m.
Venue (Location): Murray Field (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
Mobile 5, Spring Hill 4

Spring Hill 4, Mobile 3
Records: Spring Hill (1-6, 0-0 SIAC), Mobile (2-1, 0-0 SSAC)

They Said It
Head Coach Hanna Lythberg
“Mobile is a solid team all around and the scores of our games reflected that. We had a few defensive mishaps today unfortunately, but we were able to pull out a win at the end and I am very proud of our team for the fight they’ve been showing. We are learning to put all things together; clean defense, timely hits and being able to execute offensive strategy. Our team is getting used to competing against great teams and I know this will help us towards the end of our season.”

Up Next
The Badgers will host in-state foe Montevallo in a three-game series starting on Friday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill softball, follow the Badgers on social media @ShcSoftball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shc_softball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com