$0
$1500

The Buzz About Honey Badgers on Campus

Honey+Badgers+faculty+advisor%2C+Dr.+Don+Culberson%2C+teaching+students+about+honey+at+the+clubs+honey-tasting+event.+
Honey Badgers faculty advisor, Dr. Don Culberson, teaching students about honey at the club’s honey-tasting event.

The Honey Badgers club made their mark on campus at a honey tasting in the cafeteria on April 18.

The Honey Badgers decided to debut their harvested honey to the campus community last Thursday afternoon. It is common for clubs to share the progress and mission of their group by “tabling” at the cafeteria during common hours. This honey-tasting event was able to give students a sweet taste of the work they have done so far.

The Honey Badgers Bee Club was introduced to the campus more prominently by the club’s president, Joe Studt, and Biology professor Don Culberson this past year. “It has been an official group for the last three years, but we had one of these for the first time last year,” Culberson stated. 

The club had a variety of honey to try. Culberson shared, “All kinds, some from Jamaica, South Africa, some from the store, but other than that, everything else is pretty much from my backyard.”  

Since the club is growing more and more, the president of the club, or as he likes to call himself “the student advisor,” plans to bring in real beehives installed on campus. Culberson stated, “We should have beehives installed by next school year.” The club plans to house these beehives on top of the library to ensure the safety of the bees, student body, and Spring Hill Community. 

Studt was able to secure the fundraising for the club through The Student Government Association’s “safe app,” where each club is given a specific amount of money to help launch the club successfully. This money was granted to the club because Studt was able to provide a certain amount of signatures of support to The Board of Student Involvement. 

Studt shared that he fought for this grant to truly make the club something on campus. “I’m trying to bring like sustainability to campus,” Studt shared. 

He shared his goals for the club and stated that next year they will be implementing a lot more educational content regarding bees and their purpose starting in the fall. Studt hopes that this will help successfully launch the club even more. 

For more information regarding the Honey Badgers Bee Club, get in touch with their Student Advisor Joe Studt at [email protected] or Faculty Advisor Dr. Culberson at [email protected]