Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Students Held Accountable for Residence Hall Damage

SHC Residence Life is holding students accountable for their actions in residence halls. 

On March 15, residents of New Hall received an email about a community fine of 30 dollars as a result of excessive amounts of trash being left in various places throughout the building. Such places include stairwells, hallways, commons spaces, and the laundry room. 

According to the residents’ housing contracts, students are supposed to deposit garbage and other waste in proper receptacles and dumpsters that are outside each community hall. If residents are seen leaving trash in inappropriate locations rather than deposing it properly, the Resident Assistant is responsible for reminding residents where trash is supposed to go. After the initial reminder, if residents are still not deposing trash properly, the RA will write student(s) up, resulting in a fine of 30 dollars. 

Students had the opportunity to have their fines lifted if they actively participated in the Campus Beautification Project event on March 16. The names were taken of residents who participated in the clean up to ensure the fines were lifted. Residence Life held a building meeting on April 3 to address current issues, and the residents of New Hall received an email from Provost Rebecca Cantor about the fire alarm and the fire department’s investigation into an incident that took place early that afternoon. Residents were told to keep their distance from the building until they received an all-clear from the fire department to enter. 

Some New Hall residents do not think it is fair that they are being fined for their neighbors’ wrongdoings. A resident of New Hall, Lauryn Spratlen said, “I felt like it was unfair because as all of us are adults, and me, as an adult, I take care of my responsibilities, so I feel like everybody else is an adult and should take care of their responsibilities as well, so nobody else is effected by their actions.” 

Director of Campus Life and Student Conduct Desiree Melton, Ph.D., addressed numerous New Hall community issues. “We need to help turn the culture away from disrespecting authority, disrespect of property, vandalism, dishonesty, drinking, drugs, all of that stuff,” said Menton. 

Residence Life wants residents to know they will be held accountable for their actions. Contact Residence Life at [email protected] for more information.