$0
$1500

Students Showcase Their Talent at SpringHilla

Maddie Bouck
SHC students enjoying a performance at SpringHilla

*NOTE: this story has been modified from the print version in The SprinHillian newspaper*

Student artists showcase their talent on campus at the first annual SpringHilla Concert on April 6 at the Fairways Apartments on the golf course.

Members of the Student Government Association (SGA) hosted the first annual
SpringHilla concert as the first spring concert of the semester. The event was held at the Fairway Apartments for students to spend the night listening to the musical performances of their Badger classmates.

The SpringHilla concert was created as an outlet for students to showcase their musical talents with their peers, while also providing another opportunity to mingle in the courtyard. SGA was able to provide a real stage with colorful lights to help create a real concert experience for the campus.

SGA opened the SpringHilla setlist application to all students to help encourage a wide variety of talent and music genres. The line-up consisted of performances from student artists on campus such as Q Steezy, Ethan Valdez, Antheo Been, Nico, Nicky Mackool, RDM, Snow Day Band, Sleez, and a special surprise song from alumnae, Sebastian Nail. Student performer Sleez was the last act to perform of the night and showcased his song “Rubin 102,” which is familiar to some apartment residents. SHC junior Rachel Martin said, “When he talks about family forever, Rubin will always be family to me.” Rubin Hall is one of the three apartment buildings on Fairway Hole 14, home to some junior and senior students. Sleez shared that he started his music career in highschool when he was helping a friend with their work. Sleez shared his friend’s comment, “That’s really good and you should try it on your own.” This led Sleez to continue his music career, and has produced four albums since then over the years.

Sleez continued, “The crowd was amazing. It was something I didn’t know I needed, and it just was great. Everybody was just having fun, turnt up. It looked like they were into it, so that was all I could ask for.”

Martin said, “It was so cool to be able to see all of our fellow Spring Hill students perform live in front of the apartments. It was
super fun. I would love to see it come back next year, even if it is not the same artists. I would love to see all the talent that Spring Hill students bring to the stage.” Martin also shared how the concert was able to bring the campus together for a night and stated, “I was just enjoying the music, and I was looking around and there were so many new faces that I haven’t seen, so for that event to bring in the community, it was awesome.”

For more information on SGA events, follow them on Instagram @shcsga.