Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Adopt, Don’t Shop

Topanga finds her forever home with Maddie on campus
Maddie Bouck

In my opinion, rescuing an animal is always better than buying from breeders or stores.

Every year, about six million animals are placed in shelters due to neglect, overbreeding, unloyal owners, abuse, etc. The majority of these innocent animals will not see a forever home due to the rapid rate of new animals coming in. Dogs who are much older will pass during their stay, and the puppies will grow up in cages. 

Animals who are placed in pet stores are commonly the product of breeders who may not have the proper licensing. These breeders are then paid thousands of dollars by the pet store and future owner to continue breeding. Although there are safe breeders, more often than not they are adding to the stray animal population. 

I have a dog named Topanga, and I rescued her in September of 2022. I was looking for something more to add to my life that would give me a sense of comfort and happiness. One day, I decided to go to the Mobile City Animal Shelter to see how I could help in any way. One of their volunteers recommended fostering a dog. I was hesitant at first as a new junior college student living in my first apartment. 

On a whim, I decided to meet the dog she had suggested for me, which you may have guessed was Miss Topanga. I had gotten an attached feeling when meeting her, but to be honest, she really did not want anything to do with me at first. I then chose to bring her home to surprise my friends with our new roommate. 

Topanga fit in immediately. She was the princess of the house and she knew it. I got a call later in the week from the owner of the city shelter asking if I knew about Topanga’s past. I only knew she was about a four-year-old black Pitbull mix who had recently had a litter of puppies. I then began to learn she was a part of the first case of animal abuse and neglect the city had won. The level of neglect was so severe, that Topanga almost died and was carried off the property by animal rescue while crying for help. She was half the size she was supposed to be and suffering from heartworms.

I realized then that my new dog was a survivor, and her fight was not yet over. Over the last year, she has gained the appropriate amount of weight back, along with developing a truly bold personality and becoming heartworm-free. 

I share this to support why rescuing is a better choice than shopping for a dog. Rescuing an animal means saving an animal. Every day I am reminded that I helped save her life just by looking into her eyes. Not only does she have a story to her name, but she helped add to my story. For more information on rescuing, fostering, or volunteering, visit The City of Mobile Animal Shelter at https://www.cityofmobile.org/departments/city-of-mobile-animal-services/.