Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Class of ‘24 Commencement Speaker Has Badger Roots

President of Fordham University, Tania Tetlow
Fordham University

Tania Tetlow, the first woman president of Fordham University stated she is “thrilled and honored” to give the Spring Hill College class of 2024 commencement speech. “I’m going to work really hard to give a good speech worthy of the graduate class,” said President Tetlow.

President Tetlow stated the theme of the speech will be “thinking about Jesuit values in a way that relates to student lives.” Tetlow stated she wants the students to “enjoy the moment and everything achieved, have gratitude, and courage for facing the difficult world going forward.”

President Tetlow’s commitment to Jesuit education began long before she was born. Tetlow’s father attended Spring Hill College and her great-uncle taught at the college. Tetlow herself never attended a Jesuit college but stated, “My parents raised me nearby in New Orleans, steeped in Jesuit heritage and in awe of the heritage of Spring Hill.”

Tetlow was the first woman to be President of Fordham University and quickly connected with Dr. Mary Van Brunt, president of Spring Hill College. Dr. Van Brunt stated, “Tania’s commitment to the Jesuit mission and dedication to renewing and reinvigorating the higher education landscape is incredibly admirable. She has been a mentor to me as I’ve started my presidency here at Spring Hill College, and I know she will impart a wealth of wisdom to our graduates as they go out and blaze their own trails.”

Tetlow earned her bachelor’s degree in American Studies from Tulane University and graduated from Harvard Law School with her Juris Doctor. She previously served at Tulane University as senior Vice President and Chief of Staff. She began her academic career at Tulane Law School as the Felder-Fayard Professor and directed Tulane’s Domestic Violence Law Clinic, for which she raised millions of dollars in federal grant funds. In addition to her extensive higher education background, Tetlow is a former federal prosecutor.

Tetlow’s background in law led her to be a legal scholar who examines the intersection of equal protection and criminal law. Tetlow previously served as president of Loyola New Orleans where she led the university to new heights in enrollment and academic success. As the only other Jesuit Catholic institution in the South, Loyola New Orleans is seen as a sister school to Spring Hill. So much so, that Spring Hill College provided housing for students and staff of Loyola New Orleans following the aftermath of Hurricane Ida in 2021 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

With graduation nearing, senior Ronnie Bergeron shares his thoughts, “I am excited to graduate even if it is a little scary to go through the big changes after! And I can’t
wait to hear the speaker. I am excited to see what she has to say.”

The Class of 2024 will walk on the historic Avenue of the Oaks for commencement on May 11 at 9:00 a.m. To learn more about the commencement ceremony, please visit shc.edu/
commencement/.