Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Badger Comeback Not Enough to Beat Rams

The Spring Hill College softball team’s seventh-inning comeback fell short in its 5-4 loss to crosstown rival Mobile at the UM Softball Field on Thursday evening.

Leighanna Turk pitched a complete game in the defeat, throwing 96 pitches and walking only two batters over the course of six innings.

Airyonna Weaver extended her reached base streak to five games and went 2-for-4 at the plate while driving in three runs. Emily Phillips tacked on a third consecutive game where she got on base and went 3-for-1, crossed the plate once and brought a run home.

The Rams got on the board first and posted two runs in the opening frame, followed by an additional one in the third inning. Spring Hill responded with its season-high two doubles that plated three runs and tied the game at 3-3 in the fifth inning.

Mobile answered with a pair of runs in the sixth inning and took a late 5-3 lead. Bailey Cox pinch hit in the seventh, got on base and advanced to second on a ground out by Phillips. Weaver then singled up the middle to bring Cox home and made it a one-run game (5-4). The late comeback effort faded out and Mobile secured the 5-4 victory over SHC.

Game Details
Date: Feb. 8
Time: 5 p.m.
Venue (Location): UM Softball Field (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
Mobile 5, Spring Hill 4
Records: Mobile (1-0, 0-0 SSAC), Spring Hill (0-5, 0-0 SIAC)

Up Next
The Badgers will host the remaining two games of the three-game rivalry series at Murray Field on Friday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill softball, follow the Badgers on social media @ShcSoftball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shc_softball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com