Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Badgers Drop Home Contest to Miles

The Spring Hill College women’s basketball team dropped a home Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) contest to in-state divisional rival Miles, 67-57, at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center on Monday evening.

The Badgers led for a majority of the first quarter and carried a 12-10 lead over the Golden Bears through the end of the quarter. Spring Hill continued to storm ahead of Miles, outscoring their opponent 21-14 in the second quarter on their way to a 33-24 lead at halftime.

SHC continued its lead until about halfway through the third quarter, when Miles pieced together a 12-0 and took a 34-33 lead with 5:31 to go in the quarter. The Badgers fought, but the Golden Bears held their lead through the conclusion of the quarter.

Despite their shooting coming in the fourth quarter – 8-of-14 from the floor and 3-of-5 from beyond the arc – the late comeback efforts by the Badgers were not enough as they fell 67-57 to the Golden Bears.

Ariel Thompson led SHC with a season-high 13 points and Marta Duda led the game with nine rebounds. Miles’ Iemyiah Harris led the game in scoring with 22 points on the evening.

Game Details
Date: Feb. 5
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Venue (Location): Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
Miles 67, Spring Hill 57
Records: Miles (16-2, 14-1 SIAC), Spring Hill (4-14, 4-10 SIAC)

They Said It 
Head Coach Dan Presel

On the game
“Kind of a tale of two halves, we played a great first half, got the number one team in the league at your place. I think we had it work on both ends, offensively and defensively. The second half was the opposite and it’s kind of the microcosm where we’re at right now. We’ll have some moments with really good stuff and we all have to figure out how to sustain it. It takes four quarters to beat a really good team and Miles is the best team in our league right now. We needed to put four quarters together to beat them. So, kind of where we are as a program right now, our record is 4-10 in the league, coming into the night we were at -2, we were right there with so many games. The kids have continued to fight, continued to work and it sucks that we couldn’t get rewarded, but again you have to play four quarters against a good team to win.”

Ariel Thompson (Center, R-Jr.)
On her and her team’s performance
“I just got my mindset set, the first game we played them [Miles] it was like we were there, so we were like ‘We could beat them’ and I feel like our third time seeing them we’re going to beat them. We’ve got to put it all together like Coach [Presel] said, four quarters. I feel that we had a good first half, it’s just that second half, we’ve got to beat them.”

Up Next
Senior Day is scheduled for Saturday when the Badgers face off against LeMoyne-Owen.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill women’s basketball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCwbball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shcwomensbball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com