Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Spring Hill Suffers Pair of Defeats to AUM and UWG

The Spring Hill College softball team suffered a pair of defeats to Auburn Montgomery (6-1) and West Georgia (3-0) at the Gulf Shores Invitational on Saturday.

The Badgers started the day against Auburn Montgomery, who was noted as receiving votes in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Preseason Poll.

The Warhawks scored in every inning except the second and prevented Spring Hill from getting on the board until the seventh inning. Cat McCulley flied out to right field and Rycca Hinton advanced before scoring on an error by the AUM shortstop. SHC fell 6-1 to Auburn Montgomery to open the day.

Emma Curry suffered the loss and struck out two batters while AUM’s Morgan Ferguson earned the win with four strikeouts paired with a single walk across six innings.

In their second game of the day, the Badgers faced the West Georgia Wolves, who are in their final season of Division II play before elevating to Division I in 2025.

The Badgers were held to just four hits and one stolen base. The Wolves tallied eight runs and handed Spring Hill a 3-0 loss.

Despite striking out two and not allowing any walks in her complete game, Leighanna Turk took the loss in the circle. West Georgia’s Calli Hardison captured the win with two strikeouts in her complete game

Game Details
Date: Feb. 3
Time: 10 a.m. / 3 p.m.
Venue (Location): Gulf Shores Sportsplex (Gulf Shores, Ala.)

Results
(RV) Auburn Montgomery 6, Spring Hill 1
Records: Auburn Montgomery (3-0, 0-0 GSC), Spring Hill (0-3, 0-0 SIAC)

West Georgia 3, Spring Hill 0
Records: West Georgia (1-1, 0-0 GSC), Spring Hill (0-4, 0-0 SIAC)

They Said It
Head Coach Hanna Lythberg

On the game
“Two close games yesterday. Our girls are right there with nationally ranked teams. Leighanna Turk continues to keep us in great games. A few more timely hits and better execution of defense and we have a better opportunity to change the scoring of these games. AUM and UWG are both great programs to compete against and we are learning how to raise our standard for post season play!”

Up Next
The Badgers will finish the Gulf Shores Invitational with games against (RV) West Alabama and (#5) Nova Southeastern on Sunday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill softball, follow the Badgers on social media @ShcSoftball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shc_softball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com