$0
$1500

Badger Baseball Captures Opening Day Victory at Florida Tech

The Spring Hill College baseball team opened the 2024 season with a 13-4 victory over Florida Tech at Andy Seminick Field on Friday night.

The Badgers got started early with a three-run home run over the left field wall by Parker Serio in the second inning. Norris McClure scored on a back in the third inning, which continued Spring Hill’s unanswered run. Luke Sweeney and McClure each tallied an RBI in the fourth inning and Jake Taylor recorded a two-run RBI single to make it an 8-0 game by the fourth.

Florida Tech answered in the sixth inning with an RBI single, followed by an RBI double in the seventh to cut the SHC lead to 8-2.

Jackson Bell’s sacrifice fly in the eighth inning made it an seven-run (10-2) lead for the Badgers. Ethan Valdez knocked an RBI double in the ninth to keep the momentum going. Nick Hunter, McClure and Jackson Bell each added an RBI for insurance.

FIT showed life in the ninth with a RBI single to left field. In the end, the Badgers overwhelmed the Panthers and took the 13-4 opening day victory on the road. Serio led the game with three RBI, three hits and two runs in five at-bats.

Kai St. Germaine started and took the victory on the mound with five strikeouts and just two walks across six innings pitched. FIT’s Trenten Anderson suffered the opening day loss after walking three and striking out five in 3 1/3 innings.

Game Details
Date: Feb. 2
Time: 6 p.m. (EST)
Venue (Location): Andy Seminick Field (Melbourne, Fla.)

Results
Spring Hill 13, Florida Tech 4
Records: Spring Hill (1-0, 0-0 SIAC), Florida Tech (0-1, 0-0 SSC)

They Said It
Head Coach Walker Bullington

On the game
“I was proud of the way we played today. Kai St.Germaine’s performance tonight was unbelievable. He set a tone early and gave our offense a chance to get comfortable. We came out aggressive with the bats early and set a tone offensively. We didn’t give away at-bats, we pushed the tempo, we made plays defensively and the energy was great. Proud of of our guys. We have to come out tomorrow ready to go with the same intensity. We’re playing a very good club on the road and it’s going to be a battle.’

Up Next
Spring Hill will finish its opening weekend series against Florida Tech with a doubleheader on Saturday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill baseball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHC_Baseball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shcbaseball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com