$0
$1500

Spring Hill Falls to Tuskegee in Midweek Contest

The Spring Hill College women’s basketball team fell 64-55 to Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) divisional in-state foe Tuskegee at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center on Wednesday evening.

The Badgers held a 9-6 lead about halfway through the first quarter. The Golden Tigerettes took the lead a couple of minutes later, but a jumper by Yolanda Nelson tied the game at 13-13, followed by free throws from Marta Duda and Ariel Thompson put Spring Hill back in front and it took a 16-15 lead at the end of the first quarter.

After their best shooting from the floor (7-15) came in the opening quarter, the Badgers tied the second quarter with Tuskegee (11-11) and maintained a 27-26 lead going into the halftime break. SHC was outscored 21-8 in the third quarter as the momentum swung the Golden Tigerettes way.

Despite generating five of their 12 points off turnovers in the fourth quarter and outscoring Tuskegee 20-17, Spring Hill fell to its in-state divisional rival 64-55.

Duda led the game on the glass while recording a double-double that featured 14 rebounds and a team-high 14 points. Nelson also tallied 14 points to help lead the Badgers in scoring. Tuskegee’s Sumaiyah Abdur-Rahim led the game in scoring with 19 points.

Game Details
Date: Jan. 31
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Venue (Location): Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
Tuskegee 64, Spring Hill 55
Records: Tuskegee (11-6, 8-5 SIAC), Spring Hill (4-13, 4-9 SIAC)

They Said It
Head Coach Dan Presel
On the game
“[We’re] disappointed, felt like we were going to play a lot better than we did. Felt like we had good prep. You know, excited to compete back in the house. Third and fourth quarter, the game kind of just got away from us and we were just not able to reel them back. Again, you go down against good teams, it’s really hard to come back. Got to do a better job of putting us in a position to be more successful, especially on the offensive end. So, just overall disappointed, again our kids fought to then end, it’s what they do. Just have to bounce back and keep going. Be ready to play, good few practices and be ready to go when Miles comes.”

Yolanda Nelson (Guard, R-Sr.)
On her and her team’s performance
“I feel like I had a good performance. I feel like I could’ve moved the ball more, get my teammates more involved. The team overall, I feel like we threw the first punch coming out, but up until the third quarter I feel like we got down on ourselves when stuff wasn’t going our way. We should’ve came back and starting throwing punches again, but we didn’t. So, it was disappointing like coach said, but we’re going to get ready for the next game.”

On the next three games being at home
“It’s good to see the crowd, I think that’s what motivated us when we first came out. We just got to keep going, keep pushing, practice better, get more people involved and just hope to come out with wins over the next few games.”

Up Next
The Badgers will continue their four-game homestand, hosting Miles on Monday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill women’s basketball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCwbball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shcwomensbball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com