Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Spring Hill Defeated by Lane on the Road

The Spring Hill College women’s basketball team suffered a 73-56 defeat to Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) foe Lane at Oman Arena on Saturday.

The Dragons’ strong start propelled them to a 11-4 lead by the first media timeout of the game. The Badgers clawed and scratched, but were only able to cut the deficit to 21-11 by the end of the opening quarter.

Spring Hill was able to match Lane in the second quarter (19-19), but was still behind despite shooting a game-high 83 percent from the free throw line. The Dragons continued to widen the gap between them and SHC in the third quarter and carried a 60-43 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Another even quarter (13-13) between the teams was not enough for SHC to overcome their conference opponent. Spring Hill fell 73-56 to Lane in its first of a three-game conference road trip.

Kellyn Hunter led the Badgers in scoring with 14 points while going 2-3 from beyond the arc and Marta Duda led in rebounds with six. Lane’s Breonna Carey led the game in scoring with 18 points, while her teammate, Brailyn Tate, led the game in rebounds with 11 as a part of her double-double that also featured 17 points.

Game Details
Date: Jan. 20
Time: 2 p.m.
Venue (Location): Oman Arena (Jackson, Tenn.)

Results
Lane 73, Spring Hill 56
Records: Lane (6-9, 4-4 SIAC), Spring Hill (3-11, 3-7 SIAC)

They Said It
Head Coach Dan Presel
On the game
“Congrats to Lane. They played better than us from the jump. We were unable to slow them down defensively. They’re a really good defensive team – anytime you let a team that hangs their hat on the defensive side of the ball score well above their average – it’s going to be a long night. Offensively, their press sped us up into some bad decisions and we were never able to get into a rhythm. We have to bounce back and be ready to have a great practice tomorrow to prepare for Lemoyne-Owen.”

Up Next
The Badgers will continue its conference road trip with a stop at LeMoyne-Owen on Monday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill women’s basketball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCwbball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shcwomensbball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com