$0
$1500

Badgers Taken Down by #10 Tigers

The Spring Hill College men’s basketball team fell to (#10) Benedict, 97-69, at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center in Thursday night’s Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) contest.

The Badgers scored six of the game’s first 10 points and took a 6-4 lead in the opening minutes with back-to-back threes from Bo Barber and Walter Peggs Jr. The Tigers answered and took a 15-9 lead by the first media timeout.

Spring Hill did not allow their lead to extend far and brought the game back within four (19-15) by the next break, thanks in part to a 3-pointer from Ashton Hawkins. After another back-and-forth exchange, Benedict nudged its lead ahead to eight points (30-22) by the following media break.

Strong shooting from the Tigers pushed them to a 56-42 lead over the Badgers by halftime. Another impressive half by the nationally-ranked Benedict squad overwhelmed Spring Hill and led to a 97-69 final score in favor of the Tigers.

Hawkins led the team in his first game of the season with 22 points and Steven Lyles led with seven rebounds. Benedict’s Asanti Price led the game with 23 points and Tim Moore led with nine rebounds.

Game Details
Date: Jan. 4
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Venue (Location): Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
#10 Benedict 97, Spring Hill 69
Records: Benedict (11-0, 6-0 SIAC), Spring Hill (67, 3-4 SIAC)

They Said It – Head Coach Craig Kennedy
On the game
“I mean Benedict showed why they’re the No. 10 team in the country. The just play like they’re super athletic. They don’t let up from start to finish. So, I mean they played super aggressive and credit to them. I was disappointed with some facets of our game. We got in a point where we were down and just had to try to play what we used to call “chuck and chase”, which is just put up threes and try to rebound it and hope you can get a little juice going there. Obviously, it was great having Ashton Hawkins back, big game for him. I expect us to rebound with Allen coming in here and look forward to a better game.”

On Ashton Hawkins’s return
“It’s great for the team, but I’m just happy for him. He’s such a good kid, his attitude has been tremendous throughout this entire time where he hasn’t been able to play. He loves the game and he’s such a talented player and he showed it tonight. He’s finding out there’s a big difference between practice and game time conditioning wise. I’m super happy for him, because he’s such a fine young man and it just gives us another weapon and is going to be very beneficial for us down the stretch.”

Up Next
The Badgers will host Allen on Saturday in conference play.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill men’s basketball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCHoops (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shchoops (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com