$0
$1500

Badgers Upset #19 AUM at Home

The Spring Hill College men’s basketball team upset No. 19 Auburn Montgomery with a 99-89 victory at the Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center on Tuesday night.

After Auburn Montgomery, who was ranked 19th in the latest D2CSC Poll on Monday, jumped ahead to an early 8-7 lead, Eli Lenihan made a three-pointer to put Spring Hill ahead 10-8 and swing the momentum. The Badgers held the lead for 11:20 in the first half and led the national-ranked Warhawks 43-38 at halftime.

SHC started the second half off holding a 52-45 lead at the first media timeout. AUM tied things up at 58-58 with about 10 minutes to go. The teams went back-and-forth for the next two minutes, Spring Hill hung on to a 67-62 lead through the next media break. Walter Peggs Jr., who was named SIAC Newcomer of the Week earlier Tuesday, drained three-straight three-pointers across a 1:30 span and kept the Badgers in front 81-70. In the end, the Badgers hung on to upset the Warhawks 99-89.

Peggs Jr. led the game with 24 points, while AUM’s Malachi Rhodes led with 12 rebounds. SHC shot 10-of-21 from beyond the arc compared to AUM’s 4-of-14. The win marked the second in a row over a Gulf South Conference (GSC) opponent for the Badgers.

Game Details
Date: Nov. 21
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Venue (Location): Arthur R. Outlaw Recreation Center (Mobile, Ala.)

Results
Spring Hill 99 #19 Auburn Montgomery 89
Records: Spring Hill (3-2, 0-0 SIAC), Auburn Montgomery (2-1, 0-0 GSC)

They Said It
Head Coach Craig Kennedy
On the game
“It was a really ugly game and I don’t know if we necessarily deserved the game. I think our depth helped us out today. You know, AUM plays so hard, especially on the offensive boards. I mean, they’re just so relentless and so well coached. I just thought our depth really helped us today, I think our guys showed some maturity. We could’ve quit at any point, but I think our guys really showed some maturity when the game was on the line. Walter Peggs Jr.hit some clutch shots for us and that gave us some confidence that we can get this done.”

Walter Peggs Jr. (Guard, Jr.)
On his performance
“I’m always thinking in the moment ‘What can I do right now?’, so down the stretch I knew I needed to step up and hit some big shots for the team. They trusted an believed in me and hit me, so I capitalized on it. Another thing was free throws, I got to the line a lot tonight, and I knew that was something I was going to do going into the game. So, it was just a matter of locking in mentally and knocking down the shots. That’s what I did to help us get the win today.”

Up Next
The Badgers will start SIAC play with a road game at Albany State on Saturday.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill men’s basketball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCHoops (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shchoops (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com