$0
$1500

Alumnus Brings Professional Theater to the Hill

jfmperformance.net
Director of Best of Broadway Cabaret Series and SHC alumni Jacob Morris

Alumni, Jacob Morris, is coming to the Arlene Mitchell Theatre on campus as director of the Best of Broadway Cabaret Series, a professional musical involving Mobile native vocal artists. 

JF Morris Performance LLC is a performance company created by Morris after he graduated in 2019. As a student, he worked on many projects in the Mitchell Theatre, including a cappella performances and plays. Morris stated, “My college years were undoubtedly the most formative of my life. While I’ve volunteered and been around for some events, it will feel totally different bringing a show back on campus.” 

Morris has spearheaded the audition process, rehearsals, and technical aspects of the show since August of this semester. His company also offers show design assistance, audition assistance, and directing services. 

Performer Hannah Grace Smith is a cast member in Best of Broadway Cabaret and has performed professionally across the southeast. She stated, “I’m really excited there is a paid opportunity to showcase local Mobile talent. Mobile has a wonderful arts community that is just waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.” Smith graduated from the University of Mobile in 2023, and she has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre Performance.

Ronnie Bergeron, the school’s first Performance and Media Arts major, has operated the Mitchell Theatre since he was a freshman in 2020. Bergeron stated, “I’m so happy to know that the theater will be seeing use this season. While the badgers are gearing up to take the stage next spring, it’s comforting to know we have a professional coming in to keep the theater active while we prepare.” 

Performances will be held on December 10 and 21. Morris stated, “Students interested in pursuing performing arts should definitely attend. I’d also be happy to connect with anyone that finds an interest in anything theater related. There are many opportunities in our community to get involved with!” 

Anyone interested should contact Jacob Morris at [email protected]