$0
$1500

Faculty Offers New, Shorter Italy Center Courses

Mya Falgout
Flyer advertising the two week program for the Italy Center.

Spring Hill College is offering a two-week-long faculty-led study abroad program in Italy this upcoming summer. The program is open to anyone interested, regardless if they are a SHC student. Two different classes will be offered for three credits and the program is available for all majors to take. This program will take place at SHC’s Italy Center located in Bologna. Both programs are a half semester course that will allow students to explore Italy for two weeks and have classroom time. Following that, the course plans to continue remotely for four weeks so students can finish the class.

Stacy Wellborn, business instructor at SHC, is teaching IDS 391: Understanding Sustainable Development in an International Context, which revolves around sustainable development and how it affects society, business, and the individual. She stated, “With both classes focusing around social change and sustainability, the Italy Center already focuses on social justice and our mission in general. Through my research, Bologna is actually one of the leading communities in sustainable practices.” Wellborn plans to explore the community, organizations, and businesses that use sustainable practices surrounding Bologna with her students.

The other course offered, IDS 391: Public Relations for Social Change, will focus on how students can utilize public relations to enact change in society and at large. Logan Barrett, Director of Operations and Academic Affairs, will be teaching this course to focus on social change and justice that revolves around the Italy Center’s mission. He stated, “Not only do we plan on going on excursions, but we plan to do a lot of service by working in soup kitchens and supporting local non-profits. Our goal at the end is to take a non-profit on as a client and make a campaign with the class to enact some change that non-profit wants to make.”

Wellborn claims that with this new program, more students are offered an affordable option to gain experience with Bologna. “What makes it different from the traditional Italy Center program is that it’s just a two-week trip to Italy, versus doing the six week summer or the full semester. This provides an additional option to students who can possibly manage a two week travel.” Sophomore, Olivia Valente, is currently studying abroad at the Italy Center. “I think it’s great that Spring Hill is offering a shorter course over the summer because I know a lot of people who would be interested. It’s hard for students to commit to such long sessions, especially athletes and students who have other commitments.”, she stated. 

The total cost for each program is $4000, which includes the tuition, housing, training, workshops, a meal plan, and the flight to and from the center. It is encouraged by the instructors to travel on your own either on the front or back end of the trip since Bologna is located in northeast Italy, which has access to surrounding areas. If you may be interested in studying abroad, there is an interest meeting on November 14th from 12:30-1:30 p.m. located in Leblanc 211, which is above the Student Center. For more information and to apply for the Italy Center, you can visit italycenterbologna.com. For any questions or concerns, you can email [email protected] or [email protected] and [email protected] for specific questions regarding the courses.