$0
$1500

Fishing Club Keeps Reeling in New Members

Liam Leonard
Eric Andersen spends free time fishing at a pond.

The Spring HiIl fishing club has been reeling in good times this year and has seen itself become one of the biggest clubs on campus.

Spring Hill’s Fishing Club has seen a great increase in membership despite being formed a year ago.  When the club started there were about 15 members and Eric Andersen, Senior and founder of the club, was thrilled to get that many people. Andersen stated, “I really just wanted to go fishing and it’s not as fun by yourself so I was really excited that even that many people wanted to join as well.” This year, over 80 students have signed up and expressed interest. 

Most recently the club spent a day on shrimp boats reeling in all kinds of fish throughout the day. Andersen said, “We had a whole day out on the boat and we caught all kinds of different things. It was really cool to be out on a boat like that, it’s definitely not something you get to do every day.”

Andersen is also working to get more funding for the club and more equipment. Andersen said, “We have seen a massive increase in members this year so I am working with the school to get more equipment and hopefully that will bring even more people out to fish.”

Junior Dave Schied was also on the shrimp boat. Schied stated, “We had to get up extremely early for this trip to the point that I thought I might just want to sleep in on Sunday morning but I am so happy I went. It was really a great time. I had never been on a shrimp boat so it was really cool to see how they work.”

Andersen included a few dates the club has coming up. A trip to go crabbing is set for Oct. 15. Just a few days later, there will be another trip opportunity for the club to fish at Big Creek Lake. On Nov. 12, the club will go gigging, a form of fishing using a spear rather than a pole. Anderson said, “We’re all extremely excited to go on these trips with such a big group. It’s gonna be a great time.”

Andersen is thrilled with the success and is working on getting more trips set up for the club in the future. He hopes to be able to do at least three more this year and urges anyone who wants to join to contact him. 

For any questions you might have or to ask about joining the club you can email club president Eric Anderson at [email protected].