$0
$1500

SHC Mourns Passing of Hall of Famer Callero

Spring Hill College Hall of Fame member Mike Callero (’78) passed away on August 20.

Callero, a native of Niles, Ill., was two-sport athlete that lettered on the baseball and men’s basketball teams. He was described by longtime friend, teammate and fellow Badger Hall of Fame member, Jim Rebarchak as a “Great athlete, fierce competitor and ultimate teammate who made everyone better on the field, court and in life.”

A starter as a freshman on the court, Callero was a key member of the 1974-75 Southern States Conference Championship team.

A starting center fielder on the 1974 baseball team that upset nationally-ranked Division I cross-town rival South Alabama, he hit well over .300 in his time on the Hill. His exemplary performances in collegiate athletics earned him a spot in the SHC Athletic Hall of Fame in 1994.

“Mike was one of the great athletes in SHC history. The Spring Hill College community is saddened by his passing and offers up prayers and condolences for his family. There are not many college athletes that can say they won championships in two sports,” said Athletic Director Joe Niland. “Mike did that here on the Hill. May he rest in peace.”

Callero prepped at Notre Dame High School in his native Niles, Ill., prior to joining the Spring Hill College family.

For complete coverage of Spring Hill Athletics, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCBADGERS (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shcbadgers (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com