$0
$1500

Celebrations Begin for Hispanic Heritage Month

Milan Hargrove
Sister Nélida holding her book San Pablo, el Espiesíritu las Virtudes

National Hispanic Heritage Month is back on the Hill again with the goal of celebrating the cultural riches of Hispanic and Latin America in the Spring Hill community. 

Events started September 15 and continue through October 14. The month’s events kicked off with the start of a photo contest on September 15 ending on October 6. The photo winner announcement will be on October 13. Soccer Jersey Day is on September 20 and Salsa Night is September 28. 

Dr. Paula Salazar stated, “I hope Hispanics on campus feel proud of their heritage and appreciate Spring Hill College embracing diversity with these events. Enriching who we are as people and bringing everybody in as a family.”

According to Sister Nélida Naveros-Córdora and Dr. Salazar, the point of these events is to serve the students in our community in a fun way for them to learn. “Besides teaching, we usually engage with the students but with these events, it’s on another level or in a different setting, especially with all the dancing”, said Sister Nélida

Both explained that last year’s celebration was a success, and they were excited to see how the students engage this year. Last year, one of the students took a photo of her home country, won first place, and encouraged other Hispanic students to reach out to help or volunteer with different events on campus.

Junior Catherine Wells was eager to hear and join all of the events coming to campus for Hispanic Heritage Month.“This is so exciting to learn to understand another culture and how they celebrate their history. It changes people’s perspectives on how someone’s heritage can be different from yours” Wells stated.

For information about these events or to help out email Sister Nélida Naveros-Córdova at [email protected] or Dr. Paula Salazar at [email protected]. Both offices are located on the third floor of LAC.