$0
$1500

Fighting Overconsumption with Capsule Wardrobe

Mya Falgout
SHC junior Ellie Karcher browsing her closet

A capsule wardrobe is defined as a “small collection of clothes that can be put together in different ways and includes everything you would normally need to wear”, by the Cambridge Dictionary. Capsule wardrobes are useful to keep oneself organized and create a closet that is sustainable for the environment. 

As fast fashion has increased in popularity due to online shopping, it is hard for people to refrain from buying pieces of “micro- trend” clothing. This leads to the overconsumption of clothing that are poorly made and easily overlooked in a crowded closet.  

Choosing from many pieces of this type of clothing results in clutter, confusion, and distaste in one’s clothes. Because of this, one would feel the need to declutter their closet more often. Courtney Carver, author of Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge, stated, “They say that we only “wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time.”

A capsule wardrobe would allow one to invest in high quality pieces that are timeless and useful for many different occasions, while still remaining confident. It also allows one to develop a true sense of style, instead of focusing on “micro trends”. It would also save time and money. With fewer, more practical options, finding outfits is easier and shopping becomes more meaningful. With a capsule wardrobe, one can have effortless style and more time overall.Saving money is also a major benefit to practicing minimalism within our closet. Impulsive spending and disposable fashion trends are no longer appealing when one has a carefully curated wardrobe.

A capsule wardrobe typically consists of only the basics that are considered timeless and good quality. Some good examples of pieces in a capsule wardrobe include; three tank tops, two pairs of slacks, one pair of jean shorts, a striped sweater, and a fitted blazer. The key idea is that any of these pieces can be dressed up or down for any occasion. It is often practiced to buy neutral tones, that way each piece can complement each other.

If you are interested in practicing a minimalist wardrobe, there are plenty of resources online that can guide you along the process. To learn more about capsule wardrobes, visit https://modernminimalism.com/how-to-build-a-capsule-wardrobe/