Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

SHC Sweeps Opening Day of SIAC Crossover

The Spring Hill College softball team swept the first day of the SIAC Crossover with wins over Edward Waters, Clark Atlanta and Fort Valley State at the Hoover Met on Tuesday.

Meadow Villar led the Badgers (7-11, 6-0 SIAC) at the plate against Edward Waters while going 2-for-5 with a run scored. Amanda Glowacki had a perfect day (3-3) to start things off and tallied a run scored with an RBI.

Edward Waters (16-10, 2-3 SIAC) got on the board in the first inning with a two-run home run to right center field. Spring Hill responded when Taylor Pittman tied the game at 2-2 in the second inning with a base-clearing RBI double to left center.

The Tigers regained the lead with a 3-0 run through the third and fourth innings. Rycca Hinton got things going for SHC again with a three-run home run in the fifth inning, followed by a RBI single by Amanda Glowacki in the sixth.

EWU tied things up again at 6-6 in the sixth and sent the game into extras. Pittman broke the tie in the top of the ninth with an RBI single and the Badgers came away with the 7-6 win to start the day.

Emily Phillips came in relief and tossed 3.1 innings and did not give up any runs on two hits while striking out a batter.

Spring Hill continued its day against Clark Atlanta, who jumped on the board first with an inside the park home run in the opening frame. SHC responded with a 6-0 run through the fourth inning.

The Panthers tried the get a late comeback started with a run in the sixth, but were overcome by the Badgers. Spring Hill tallied two more runs and secured the 8-2 victory against CAU to remain perfect in conference play.

Rycca Hinton led the Badgers at the plate (4-4) and batted in four runs while scoring three of her own. Leighanna Turk earned her second win of the season while striking out seven and giving up a single run on two hits.

SHC completed its sweep of the day with a 17-3 domination against Fort Valley State (9-9, 5-2 SIAC). Villar led with six RBI and two runs, including a home run, while batting a perfect 4-for-4 against the Wildcats.

The Badgers scored in every inning except for the second and fourth and only allowed a single run from FVSU in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. They also marked their largest margin of victory this season against Fort Valley State.

Phillips threw a complete game in the final contest of the day, striking out six and walking a single batter.

Game Details
SIAC Crossover
Date: March 12
Venue (Location): Hoover Met (Hoover, Ala.)

Results
Spring Hill 7, Edward Waters 6 (9 Inn.)
Records: Spring Hill (5-11, 4-0 SIAC), Edward Waters (16-10, 2-3 SIAC)

Spring Hill 8, Clark Atlanta 2
Records: Spring Hill (6-11, 5-0 SIAC) Clark Atlanta (10-20)

Spring Hill 17, Fort Valley State 3
Records: Spring Hill (7-11, 6-0 SIAC), Fort Valley State (9-9, 5-2 SIAC)

Up Next
Spring Hill continues its week at the crossover with games against Savannah State and Allen on Wednesday.

FOLLOW THE BADGERS
For complete coverage of Spring Hill softball, follow the Badgers on social media @SHCSoftball (X), /SHCBADGERS (Facebook), @shc_softball (Instagram) or visit the official home of Spring Hill athletics at shcbadgers.com