$0
$1500

Rugby Dominates in the South Shore Tournament

Maddie Bouck
Senior Eric Andersen and Junior Santiago Day in their rugby uniforms after the tournament

Spring Hill College Men’s Rugby team took first place in the South Shore Tournament.

On Saturday, March 9 the Spring Hill College men’s rugby team came out on top in their first tournament of the spring semester. Other teams in the South Shore Tournament included St. Louis University, University of West Florida, University of Lafayette, and Tulane University. 

In this 7×7 tournament, each team only had seven players on the field rather than the traditional 15. After a match with Tulane University, SHC had officially gone undefeated for all three games of the day. Members of the rugby team attributed being able to secure a win at this semester’s first game back to having support from the family, friends, and students who gathered on the sidelines of Dorn Field. 

Junior rugby player Santiago Day said, “Each game makes us grow more. We are getting bigger, and getting some guys from California next year, hopefully.” Although the team does not have as many players as SHC fans were used to seeing in past years, some fresh faces can still be found on the field.

A new member, senior Eric Andersen, shared there will be a tournament held on campus during the annual Alumni Weekend this April. Junior Kate Zeller shared she is an avid rugby game fan. “I love seeing my friends have so much fun. I think the rugby games are my most favorite times,” said Zeller. 

For more information on the men’s rugby team, visit their Instagram and Facebook profiles @shcrugby.