$0
$1500

BSU Skates Through Black History Month Celebration

Alisiah Rashid
Former and current BSU president and vice president at the skating event

BSUSpring Hill College Black Student Union celebrates Black History Month with a 90s skate party to honor roller skating African-American culture. 

The Black Student Union ended the month of February with a 90s skate party at Dreamland Skate Center. Students were asked to dress in the 90s fashion attire and bring a friend. Roller skating plays a huge role in the African-American culture. In the late 1950s, skating rinks were open once a night to the Black community during the civil rights movement. This was seen as a way for African Americans to “break free” of the things that were happening during that era. 

“Skating is such a cultural thing when it comes to black people, and we thought it would be a great way to get everyone to come together and to just have fun,” said Ray Taliaferro, president of the Black Student Union. 

Throughout the week students attended informational events, business expos, and meetings. The 90s skate night party was a way for students to take a break and relax. Freshman Sha’La Quincy said, “I think this event is important because people were studying for midterms, some people had papers to write, doing math assignments, so this was a great way to have fun and catch a break.” 

As more students attended the event, some of the old members of BSU came to show their support for the newer members. Former president of BSU Vaughn Terrell said, “I am happy a lot of people showed up. The new leaders for BSU are really doing an amazing job unifying everyone.”  BSU’s goals are to continue having more people join and support the organization. 

Black History Month is the month to celebrate the heroes who have made a change in the world. It is the month to come together as a community to celebrate each other and be reminded how far African Americans have come. Taliaferro said, “We wanted to host this event because we wanted to bring all students together. It was Black History Month, and we wanted to end the month on a more positive note.” 

BSU events are always open for students who are interested in attending. If you are interested in joining the organization, reach out to the president at [email protected]. For more information regarding BSU and upcoming events, follow them on Instagram @shcbsu.