Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Changes Made to Housing Selection Process

Nick Watts
Rising senior Gavin Johnson selecting his housing for next year

The 2024-2025 housing selection began on March 2, and the process looks different for students now. 

The main difference in this year’s selection process is the limited number of students that can match with each other on the selection website. Members of the school’s Residence Life office have decided to go with a selection process commonly found at other universities and colleges that only allow two students to match for certain housing spaces. 

This new rule has raised some concerns from upperclassmen who had the opportunity to live in places around campus, such as Portier and the Fairway apartments, that occupy more than two students. Gavin Johnson, a rising senior, elaborated on how the process went for him. “Having one other person to come with me didn’t make that big of a difference as we did the roommate room selection because it was that person put in the same room next to you. So, I chose room A and my roommate was room B, so that was pretty cool I think,” said Johnson. 

With Residence Life being swarmed with questions, they have responded with multiple emails to students to provide some clarification. First and foremost, SHC officials would like to remind all students that the students rent out a bed space and not a room or apartment. Not only that, but SHC reserves the right to consolidate space and has the right to assign students to vacant bed spaces. The selection order that Residence Life provides for the students is based on the highest amount of credit hours that a student has accumulated according to each class. 

Aside from the rules regarding roommate selection, Residence Life also specified which buildings are open for each class of students. Rising seniors have the ability to select the following: Fairways apartments, Portier Place, Mobile Hall, and Skips Place. Rising juniors have the following options: Portier Place, Mobile Hall, and Skips Place. This differs from last year’s housing selection because juniors are no longer able to live in the Fairway apartments. 

The school plans to help the rising sophomores adapt to this housing selection process through their Pathways classes to ensure that no student is left behind or confused. Rising juniors will be able to participate in the room selection process from March 9 to 15, and rising sophomores will be able to participate from March 16 to 22. 

The Residence Life office on campus is planning to have a room swap week next semester to help students make any changes to their housing selection if they feel dissatisfied. 

For any questions regarding the housing application process, contact SHC Residence Life at [email protected]