$0
$1500

Spirits Fly as SHC Cheer Nears NCA Competition

Mac Spiller
The cheerleading squad runs through a routine during practice

The Spring Hill College Cheerleading team continues their preparation to have a big finish at the National Competition. 

With the National Cheerleading Association (NCA) College Nationals competition at the end of the semester, the Spring Hill College Cheerleading team has their sights set on making this their best finish yet. Coach Alyssa Paesano, who took over both the cheer and dance teams in 2017, stated, “We have this really good group of juniors that have kind of grown together for the past three years. So we have this large group that has become this really tight-knit group that has become a leadership group and just a really good example of what a team should be.” She continued, “I’m excited to see them now as they transition to upperclassmen to lead the team and take the mat at nationals.” 

Since the start of the 2023-2024 school year, the cheerleading team has been continually working to get a routine set and mastered. Filled with high-flying stunts and energetic choreography, the team proceeds to learn to perfect this routine so they can score high at the NCA.

For now the third time, junior Makayla Goode will be competing at this event. She said, “The adrenaline rush that I get on the mat, it’s like something I can’t even describe. You just get on that mat and nothing else matters.” Goode continued,  “We always hype each other up and it is a great team dynamic. We are finally getting to a place where we are all trusting each other with these skills. That’s going to be something that’s taken a lot of development this year and I think we are going to continue to do that and it is going to be great for us.” 

Freshman Raphael Young is attending the competition for the first time and said, “I’m looking forward to finally getting on the mat and doing our routine full out and hitting zero.” In their preparation before the national competition, the team will have a few opportunities to showcase their routine at local exhibitions. Their next one will be an exhibition showcase on March 16th at the Mobile Civic Center.

For additional updates on SHC’s Cheerleading team, follow their Instagram at @shc_cheer or the link to the SHC athletic website at https://shcbadgers.com/sports/cheerleading.