Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

SGA Searches for New Student Discounts

Mac Spiller
Freshman Max Davis using his student ID to get a discount at Soul Bowlz.

The Student Government Association at Spring Hill College collaborated with surrounding restaurants to provide new discounts for students to start the Spring 2024 semester.

Student Body Vice President Walker Carlisle was the leader in getting these discounts for the students during the winter break. Carlisle stated, “Before I was even going to Auburn I remember looking through their discount list and that to me was always pretty cool. I tried the same thing, looking at here, looking for some sort of discount list and there was nothing to be found.” The process was not all smooth sailing for Carlisle as he went advertising his pitch to the neighboring businesses. “We walked through some boutiques. All of them looked at us pretty funny wondering what we were doing in there.” He continued, “Strangely enough, Carpe Diem practically slammed the door in our face. It was pretty funny to hear their response, they said ‘Y’all are too much of our customers to give a discount’ so that was pretty interesting to me.” 

Some of the establishments where students can benefit from these discounts are Voodoo Wings, Mellow Mushroom, and Soul Bowl.  Makayla Goode is an avid user of these discounts. “I frequently go to Soul Bowlz, the different kinds of acai options they have makes every experience different.” She also commented on how the new discounts have saved her money,  “With being a college student, there is a lot I have to buy like books and other supplies throughout the school year, and on top of that I have to eat, so having a discount to one of my favorite places is great.” For others who may not eat out as much, the discounts can offer people new reasons to go out and try different food. 

Carlisle was not alone when pursuing the idea of getting discounts for students. SGA president Daniel Hadley was in full support of making this happen. “Throughout the year we kind of played around with the idea of being more involved with the Spring Hill community outside of campus and we weren’t quite sure how to do that, what was the best use of our time. But Walker came up with the idea to get student discounts and being the student government association we thought it was a great idea and he went out and took care of business.” 

The Student Government Association plans to continue its efforts on getting more discounts for students in other areas besides food. To stay up to date or get more information on where students can benefit from the SGA efforts go to their Instagram page @shcsga.