$0
$1500

A Familiar Face at the Spring Hill Golf Course

Nick Watts
Jerry Wilson at the Spring Hill golf course.

Jerry Wilson is not only a Spring Hill golf course regular, but he is also a founding member of the Mobile rugby club known as Battleship. 

Wilson was a member of the Battleship Rugby Club at the time of its inception when he moved to Mobile in 1978. Wilson said that Spring Hill College was a factor in the creation of the rugby club.  “It’s a unique thing because the players that really wanted to start a new rugby club here in Mobile came from Spring Hill College. They were older players, they had graduated and had played like three or four years for the college and so they started a rugby club. I had played one year at Southern Mississippi my last year, and I had just wanted to keep on playing because I enjoyed it so much,” said Wilson.

After graduating from Southern Mississippi in 1978 and moving to Mobile, Wilson eventually retired at the age of 67. When Wilson retired, the ex-rugby player searched for something to do in later years. One of his friends had been working for the Spring Hill golf course and called Wilson to offer him an opportunity to work. Wilson has enjoyed it ever since he started. “Personally I like the college kids, and I never really have any trouble with them,” said Wilson. Looking back since he started, Wilson said, “I’ve really enjoyed it, or I wouldn’t be here.”

Wilson has worked for the Spring Hill golf course for the past two and a half years. Born in Atmore, Alabama, Wilson has spent his life in many different locations throughout the South, including Fisco City, Bay Minette, and Atlanta. Since playing for Battleship, living here, and meeting his wife in Mobile, the last 40 or so years have allowed Wilson to call this city his home. Wilson is not sure how long he plans to stay working for SHC as a marshall. He said, “You know I’ve never really thought about it. Honestly never really thought about it. I’m just here.” 

Throughout his time at SHC, Wilson has remained humble about his work and his time on the rugby field. He continues to provide a fun environment at the golf course. As Spring Hill College nears the 200-year mark, the impact of the college and its graduates continue to have an impact on the SHC’s history.