$0
$1500

Badgers Bought In

Mac Spiller
SHC Men’s Basketball team during practice.

Spring Hill College Men’s Basketball team broke the ten-game winning streak threshold for the first time during coach Kennedy’s tenure, and the players are bought in.

The Spring Hill College Men’s basketball team has finally grasped the goal of a ten-win season for the first time in six years– a goal the team has narrowly missed out on in the past few years. Through the first 13 games of the season, the Badgers started with a record of six wins and seven losses. It started to look as though this would be another underwhelming season for the team. However, with players Ashton Hawkins and Isiah Veal returning from injuries and ineligibility, the team seemed to find a new light. With a five-game winning streak, the players propelled themselves to 11 wins and seven losses. Second-year team manager Trevion Cooks said, “Everybody on the same page because if everyone is on the same page we are hard to beat. Everybody has to be bought in.”

During this winning streak, redshirt senior Isaiah Veal really stepped up his game. Averaging 23.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 3.2 assists, Veal earned SIAC Player of the Week. In the competition against Kentucky State, Veal set a couple of career records: a single-game scoring high of 37 points and an astonishing 15 free throws made in a single game. Veal said, “I got great teammates, great coaches, and I have a great support system at home. My dad comes down here frequently and tries to help me with anything I need. My mom, my sisters, and a lot of praying every day, and getting in the gym and working on my game.” 

Head Coach Craig Kennedy, who was hired in 2018, is very fond of a winning mentality. After winning multiple championships with previous teams, he was brought to SHC to incorporate that mentality. With the first 10-win season under his belt with the team, Kennedy said, “We are more team-oriented in many ways.” He then said, “We’re really excited because we are still really young but we are playing with maturity this year.” 

As the regular season goes on, the Badgers hope to continue their success and finish with a winning mentality. For more information about the Men’s Basketball program, visit SHCBadger.com or Instagram @shchoops.