$0
$1500

Slam Dunks by SHC Basketball Players at Hoops Madness

The+stands+were+packed+to+support+the+Mens+and+Womens+Basketball+teams.+
Isaac McPherson
The stands were packed to support the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams.

On October 20, the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams were introduced at Hoops Madness, and the event included competitions for the audience to participate in to win. 

Hoops Madness was created to replace  “Midnight Madness”, which would start the college basketball season. The NCAA created the ‘Midnight Madness’ event in 2013, where the NCAA would give teams a specific time to start practices. Schools would start their practices at midnight and this would start their basketball season. Head Coach of the men’s basketball team, Craig Kennedy stated, “This is a great way to introduce our guys, the women’s basketball team, and the dance team to the students, and to get some excitement going for this coming basketball season.” 

Many competitions occurred, including a three-point contest between both men’s and women’s basketball teams, a slam dunk contest, and some contests that involved the fans. Freshman Nicky Mackool, a member of the baseball team, competed in a relay race competition where he would then proceed to perform a slam-dunk in front of the players, coaches, and fans. He stated, “Being able to grab a basketball and dunk it in front of the crowd, it was fun.”

The Men’s Basketball team’s first game will be an exhibition on November 8 versus the University of Mobile. On November 10, the men’s basketball regular season will begin as they travel to face Florida Tech. The women’s basketball season will open up with an exhibition against Division. 1 opponent The University of Louisiana of Lafayette on November 6. They follow that by starting their season with their home opener against the University of West Florida on November 15. For more information please visit the Spring Hill College men’s, women’s, and cheerleading websites: https://shcbadgers.com/index.aspx