$0
$1500

Men’s Soccer Team Falls Short of Conference Spot

Mens+soccer+team+players+huddle+up+during+game.+
Ruby Media
Men’s soccer team players huddle up during game.

The Spring Hill Men’s Soccer team fell 5-1 to Alabama Huntsville in an attempt to make it to the conference tournament for the first time in three years. 

After the opposing team, The Chargers, scored within the first three minutes of the game, defender Celso Juberias scored within the next two minutes, tying the game 1-1. With Spring Hill taking another five shots on goal, and freshman goalkeeper Martin Gomez making six saves throughout the game, their efforts were not enough to take the team to the conference finals. 

Senior player Brett Stow said, “It’s definitely a heartbreaker, it was a good first half and I thought we put a fighting effort for the first half, second half we lost a little bit of discipline, a couple balls not going our way. That’s just the game of soccer. Sometimes you get the result you desire, and sometimes you fight hard and come short. We’ve had results when we were on the other end, today just was not our day”.

He continued, “It’s bittersweet for me, the last game, tough to see where it ended and how it ended, and in preparation for next year, I think the team has a lot to look forward to. This year’s team, basically everyone was new, except for two guys, but it’s a well talented team, they just need more time together to build more chemistry and discipline. And I think this program can go a far way”.

Head Coach Chris Leonardi stated, “I’m disappointed, for the guys, you know, if we had won the game we would’ve had a good chance at going to the tournament and now the chances are pretty much gone, so it’s been disappointing for the guys, it’s been a tough season, a lot of learning, but it happens”. 

He continued, “We’re very young, we got 26 new guys, and we have only been together for two months. It’s tough to bring a community together in the time period, so I think the spring season will be a good one, and with everyone returning from the roster, this has been a good moment for them to learn from in the future. You don’t know what it’s like to lose a season as a freshman, and now they’re going to have that bitter feeling, of this last game on the field, so hopefully we learn from that, and I think we will.” 

For more information and updates on the Spring Hill Men’s Soccer team and their events follow their Instagram page @shcmensoccer or visit shcbadger.com for all things Badger athletics.