$0
$1500

SHC Students Support Feeding the Gulf Coast

Samantha Brosseau
Members of SHC sororities come together after competing in Watermelon Bash

Over 18,000 canned goods were donated by students to benefit the charity Feeding the Gulf Coast as Spring Hill College’s chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha members held their annual Watermelon Bash on September 16.

Feeding the Gulf Coast has served the Southeast for over 40 years through food drives, volunteer programs, and donations. In 2022 alone, the organization provided over 29 million meals to those in need. Over time, they have expanded from one location in Theodore, Alabama to two others spanning across three states.

During Watermelon Bash, students created teams to compete in a series of six different games while raising money and earning points along the way. All students are encouraged to create a team and participate.

Member of Lambda Chi Alpha and Watermelon Bash organizer Sam Swanson said, “My favorite part was seeing all the cans being brought in, knowing the cause they were going to help.” Swanson worked for weeks to see the event come to life, and he said he could have never imagined the “immense success” that Watermelon Bash was this year.

Delta Gamma member and event attendee Kathryn Varnado said, “Events like Watermelon Bash bring the student body together. I have never felt more unified with my fellow students than I have today.”

Tau Kappa Epsilon and student government member William Messersmith said, “Each year Watermelon Bash gets more and more traction across the school. It is great to see so many freshmen come and get to know the upperclassmen, while also raising money and food for a good cause.”

Watermelon Bash is an event for students to come together during the stress of the new school year. Even in the midst of competition, everyone was unified and working toward helping people in their community.

Awards were handed out to the first, second, and third-place teams, as well as the best freshman team and the team with the most spirit. Phi Mu won first place, followed by Delta Gamma in second and Tri Delta in third. Sigma Kappa was awarded the most spirited team and the Ten Seeds were named the best freshman team.

To support the cause or find more information regarding Feeding the Gulf Coast, visit feeding the gulf coast.