Latest Stories
The Student News Site of Spring Hill College

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

The SpringHillian

Support Us
$0
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spring Hill College. Your contribution will allow us to cover the printing costs of Alabama's oldest collegiate newspaper and cost of maintaining thespringhillian.com website.

Disc Golf Has a Steady Grip on SHC Students

Lucas Hendrix
Mac Spiller putts one in on hole 13.

Spring Hill College added an 18 hole disc golf course in 2016, and this year students have flocked to try out the popular sport. 

Disc golf is very similar to golf, but instead of hitting a ball into a hole, you throw a disc into a basket. Modern day disc golf was invented during the 1960’s, and it started to gain more traction as the number of courses increased. The college’s course has been a popular spot for disc golfers on campus and in the community. 

The course offers 18 various holes, all of which come with their own difficulty. Some of the holes, such as four and five, are heavily guarded with trees to make it more difficult. It also comes with a good workout, as some of the holes are down hills or have a high incline, making for a lot of walking when playing. Be on the lookout for the hole indicators, as they are small purple circles that tell you where to tee. To play the course, you will need some discs. You can pick up the discs needed for a beginner at any sports store, such as Academy or Dick’s Sporting Goods. A beginner set can cost anywhere from $30 to $50, which will include a driver, mid range, and putter–the three essential discs to have. You can also purchase a backpack specially designed to hold discs, rosin bags, etc.

This semester, it is pretty common to see people out playing the course. Avid disc golfer and student, Mac Spiller, spoke about the course on The Hill, “I like playing the disc golf course on campus because when I don’t have anything to do, me and my friends can go out and play the course and you don’t have to leave campus or waste gas.” Playing the course can also bring out a competitive edge within your friend group. Senior Cody Schaffer said, “ Me and my friends like to place a bet on our rounds of disc golf, like low score buys dinner for the group or that sort of thing.”

If you and your friends are on campus and are interested in this sport, you can try it anytime on campus. Who knows, you may just be one throw away from your new hobby.