$0
$1500

Students Explore Other Faiths at Church Connect

Fae Fox
SHC students’ familiar place of worship, St. Joseph’s chapel

Students were given the opportunity to explore different denominations of Christianity in Mobile at Campus Ministry’s Church Connect event on September 14.

Spring Hill United Methodist, Gulf Coast Creation Care, and Spring Hill Baptist Church were represented. Each church had their own table set up in the lobby of the Student Center. Representatives from each church spoke to SHC students about what their church does for the community, where the church is located, and their overall faith.

Campus Ministry’s Ecumenical and Interfaith intern and organizer of this event, Kadeisha Adderley, said “Church Connect is an event for students who aren’t Catholic so that they can have a community not just here on campus but also outside of it.”

According to the Spring Hill College website, only 38% of SHC students identify as Catholic. Members of Campus Ministry acknowledged the need to give students the opportunity to explore other faiths. Adderley said, “We are providing a community that isn’t Catholic. We are having a few churches from other denominations showcase to help students find their home.”

Sophomore and event attendee Milan Hargrove said, “What I enjoyed about the event is that it brings awareness about different churches that students might not know about.” Another event attendee, freshman Tanaj Rolle, said, “It was just a way to connect with people.”

To learn more about Campus Ministry and their upcoming events, contact [email protected].